Monday, November 10, 2008

Split nuts for the saw

The saw I cut needs nuts for the handle, and as I have no donor saws, I have two options. The first is to buy them, but they are kinda expensive. If they were available locally, I might consider it, but spending $20 on two tiny pieces of hardware is not my cup of tea. So instead, I decided to make them.


For materials, I used a 3/8 stainless steel rod, though I would recommend using a bigger size. Traditionally, brass was used, but this is what I had on hand, and I think the stainless might give the saw a more modern look. I also used two 10-24 machine screws(stainless), and Lock-Tite. Alternately, one can use Leif Hanson's writeup. I didn't because I don't have a suitable soldering set-up. They can also be purchased from Wenzloff and Sons.
What are split nuts?


First cut off about 1/4" of the rod. Then drill into it with a #23 bit, for the tap(it doesn't have to be 10-24 thread, but that's what I used.) Then cut a notch into it, about halfway down. Tap the hole through, making sure that there is plenty of oil. Then, screw the screw into the hole and lock it with thread lock. When that has cured, make the screw flush with the face, and sand to a suitable grit.

Now onto the other half. This part acts as the nut, and is made the same way except there is no shoulder cut. Also there is a slot cut that goes through the tapped hole. Obviously, there is no thread locker involved.

No comments: